Public hearing on “The environment and the population health protection in the city of Kapan in 2015” project
On June 13, public hearing on “The environment and the population health protection in the city of Kapan in 2015″ project was held in Kapan municipality. The participants were welcomed by A. Hayrapetyan, Mayor of Kapan, who wished free, open discussion and promised to incorporate good suggestions into the project. The program goals, objectives and expected results were presented by A. Hambardzumyan, head of the programs and foreign relations division of the municipality. This program is the continuation of the activities carried out in 2014, which is amounted to 15.4 mln AMD.
It is mentioned in the project that the environmental
1. Cleaning of Vachagan river bed,
2. Tree planting at the pavements in the central part of Kapan, rehabilitation and improvement of green spaces
3. Purchasing property, medical equipments, instruments and medicines for the HEIs and extracurricular educational institutions,The Aarhus Center put forward another issue, which was referred to the abandoned underground mine in David Bek district, in the center of the city, which metal entrance gate has been removed and the children are playing in front of the entrance, sometimes playing hide-and-seek they are passing inside through the open entrance and the yellow waters coming out from the mine during the rains are being filled into the street.
It was suggested:
• to construct and install a gate, preventing the children entrance
• to direct the polluted yellow waters coming out of the mine to the manhole in front of the entrance through streams or pipes, which is in a dilapidated condition, thereby to cease the contaminated with heavy metals water entrance into the streets of the city (in accordance with the survey report of the Center for Ecological Noosphere Studies at the Armenian National Academy of Sciences), which toxic dust resulting from evaporation, through the wind and cars flow are polluting the atmosphere.
• To repair the ruined surface part of the manhole
• To clean the pipeline at least twice a year via fire truck through a high pressure water jet, to avoid the possible jam.
The Mayor participating in the discussion immediately ordered the director of Kapan utilities to install a metal gate and regulate the flow of water coming out of the mine to the manhole, eliminating a flow out into the street. Also were sounded some other suggestions. The project was approved by all participants.
Coordinator of Kapan Aarhus Center
Tell: ( 374) 93 79 59 21
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Translated by Anush Beybutyan