Cooperation call to the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources of the RA
Dear Mr. Zakharyan
We, a number of NGOs of Environmental Public Alliance and private members concerned with the nature conservation, representatives of the Armenian Aarhus Centers, sincerely congratulate you on the occasion of assuming high position of the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources at the RA Government.
In recent times, the underground mining of the RA has become a target of intense and indiscriminate use, which is implemented in gross violation of the law in the mineral sector.
- exploitation of the mineral wealth without planning, lack of inspections
- disregard and gross violations of contractual obligations
- re-registration of mining license for the companies previously failing to comply with the contractual obligations
- granting mineral prospecting licenses for industrial purpose which dates are going out the limit permitted by law
- gross violation of working draft on mining exploitation and contract; opencast mining instead of underground mode of operation in accordance with the contract
- existence of unrecultivated tailing dumps, lack of tailing dumps security certificates.
All of this leads to an unacceptable violation of landscapes, contamination of soils and waters as a result of spreading heavy metals and toxic elements from the mine, destruction of arable lands, natural ecosystems, decline of soil fertility and loss of national wealth.
For the current situation is responsible the agency providing mining licenses, where are being shaped and approved the bypassing legislation documents, or more clearly this neglected situation stemmed from the indifference and idleness of the former Minister Armen Movsisyan.
Dear Mr. Zakharyan, for the sake of re-establishing legality in the field of mining industry, protection of entrails of the earth: the our national wealth for prosperity of our country, we hope that under your leadership will be identified and resolved the former violations and the exploitation of natural resources of the Republic of Armenia will be renewed.
Today, at this responsible moment, we consider necessary to meet with you and present our concerns, offer our participation and support in anticipation of further joint work for the sake of country’s prosperity.
Coordinator of Environmental Public Alliance