How to make cities resilient: Kapan
On October 20-21, a seminar under the theme “Making cities resilient” was held in Kapan Aarhus Center. The overarching goal was to apply the self-evaluation tool designated for local administration bodies jointly with Kapan government body (UNISDR «Making cities resilient: My city is getting ready to” global campaign).
The training- meeting was organized by the UN Development Program, the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction Found, the RA Ministry of Emergency Situations and Kapan Municipality. It is funded by the Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department of the European Commission and is implemented by UNDP within the “Community resilience and environmental emergency preparedness, capacity development” program.
The topics included in the agenda were:
• Disaster risk management. Inclusion of disaster risk reduction component in development plans.
• International approaches of disaster risk management and the Armenian experience.
• UNISDR’s “How to make cities resilient” manual, 10 priorities for making cities resilient,
• Inclusion of crisis management in “self-assessment tool for local government” component.
• Development of a plan of action for a resistant and safe city.
Which enabled the local community to identify sectorial development trends in disaster risk reduction (DRR) and to develop sectoral plans for community development in the future, incorporating DRR programs and events. It also helps to identify and understand the local government’s capacity in the field of disaster risk management.
The training was attended by representatives of essential infrastructures serving the town of Kapan: the Armenian Water and Sewerage, Gazprom Armenia, “ENA” CJSCs, Aarhus Center in Kapan, Syunik community, “Zangezur Copper-Molybdenum Plant” developing Artsvanik tailing dump, Kapan Medical Center, 2 high schools and 1 main school of Kapan.
Kapan Aarhus Center provided a platform for conducting training, computer, projector, internet access and document printing services.
Coordinator of Kapan Aarhus Center
Translated by Anush Beybutyan